Tuesday 25 October 2016

Why am I selling my some of my Hunga Properties

I always try to answer the questions and comments from my readers and below is one that I thought you might also find interesting.

Charlett,
Thank you for your reply!  I've read through all of your blog and what you are doing is something my husband and I have wanted to do and have been researching for quite some time.
Was your intention to build out the lots for vacation homes to bring in some residual income? Can you tell me more about what problems you've run into and why you are selling the lots?
We are interested in building a home for ourselves and then a place we can rent out for short term or vacation stays.  Also, I am working on creating a Clinic and Spa there bringing providers in from all over the world for various times and appts throughout the year.
Anxious to hear more from your hands on experience!
Tiffany


Hi Tiffany,

I will try to answer your questions as fully and honestly as possible but I urge you to ask questions of others as well just to make sure that you have all the information before making a decision.

First and foremost I am not a real estate agent and I do actually own the properties that I am selling.  I have owned these properties since 2013 when I bought them so there is still 96 years left on the lease with first option to renew.  Plenty of time to enjoy.

Yes these properties are located on the North/Northwest of Hunga Island in Vava’u Tonga and are approximately ¼ acre each.  They are located on the top of a 200 foot cliff to the open ocean below.  The properties themselves do include about 15 metres between the property line and the cliff edge but it is stated in the lease agreement that nothing can be built in this area between you and the cliff without your written permission.  This is to protect you from someone building between you and your view and to protect you and your property from erosion. If some of the cliff falls away as - cliffs sometimes do - you should not lose your property.

Also, This property is located on a part of the island that is currently undeveloped.  No real roads (only dirt), no water, no power, no stores, no transportation, no anything and no guarantee that anything is going to be there in the near future.  On Hunga Island there is no market, no doctor, and very little entertainment. Anything and everything that you will want/need will need to be brought to you via boat from Neiafu on the main island that is (I believe) 12 miles away by boat.

OK, so that is the bad news.

The good news is that there are currently a few very successful resorts on Hunga Island and there is ALWAYS call for vacation properties even if it is only for the night for other people to see the island for themselves. Over the past couple of years I have suggested to the local expats that I would like to run a spa on these properties including massage, facials, baths, nails, hair, all the luxury items that travelling women and men would adore after a long journey and they have all been very supportive of the idea and I still believe that if you offer a two or three day “spa retreat” you should be able to do very well.  I can even help you find the supplies that you will need.  This is an idea that many people, expats, locals and yachties will enjoy.  I know I will!!

As for the reasons for me to sell my properties.  I bought 4 properties for my family.  One for my husband and I – that is the one I am keeping. One for my mother that passed away last year. One for my father that is currently ill and not interested in the property and one for either my brother or brother in law.  My brother in law will never come here because his wife just had a kidney transplant and they need the benefits that they can only afford with his job in Canada. And my brother is a home body that has claimed that he will never leave Windsor Ontario where his boys are.

I did not start the spa idea in Hunga because I ran out of money before I could start.  This may be a third world country but they do not have third world prices.  That is why the locals (Tongans) are so poor.

Anyway, On my way to Tonga in July 2015 after selling my house and everything I thought I could not live without I packed up the rest of my belongings to ship to Tonga.  I picked the wrong mover.  I contracted a company to move my belongings from Manitoba to BC for $2,300 and when the truck arrived in BC they told me they wanted $7,800.  Obviously I argued the point and the rude SOB drove away with my belongings.  I am still fighting to get them back. That was July 8th 2015.

Plane was booked and we could not stay to fight the good fight.  We had a contract to comply with which included being in Tonga on July 10 to take over the business.  We arrived in Vava’u as agreed with the owners of the business that we bought from - an American (sorry if you are American) and she decided that she was not going to transfer the business and was not going to refund our money.  Nice (sorry for the sarcasm). Anyway, my husband and I spent the next 6 months in court living off of our savings and the proceeds of our house just to have the judge put the case off to Supreme Court that would not hear our case for another 6 months.  In the meantime my mother passed away and my husband was being audited by the Canadian government for $21,000 taxes from 2011 – 2014.

Life fell apart for us. After 20 years of marriage we started arguing. We were broke, had no home, had no car, had no job, and had 5 different court cases going on.  We went back to Canada in December 2015 to go back to work. I came back to Tonga in June 2016 to attend Supreme Court where I won the decision.  I am still trying to get the business now.

But!!!!  I have decided to start anew.  There is lots of opportunity here for those that are willing to work and have the courage/foresight to see the possibilities.  I would love to have the spa on the clifftop with such an amazing view but life had other plans for me.

Now I am 2 weeks away from opening a Deli shop and will hopefully have the business that I bought soon.  Either way I am not leaving Vava’u.  The people are amazing, the weather is nearly always perfect – so long as you like HOT – LOL – and there is always someone willing to help you get what you need to be successful.  The more the merrier.

The biggest recommendation that I can give anyone is if you want to move here, come and live here first.  Be here for 6 months and make sure this is the culture/life that you want.  It is a different world. And I love it!

Did I miss any questions?  Is there more information that you would like?  Let me know!

Charlett

2 comments:

  1. wow you are a tough lady we are thinking of buying an dwondered what lots you suggest?

    love yr blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Neki,

    I would obviously recommend my lots! lol

    Seriously, I prefer the lots on the original leased side which is the North/Northwest side of the island. This side of the island faces the open ocean and is about 200 feet high above the water level. I cannot speak for all lots but my lots have a nice 10% grade to get rid of unwanted water and they are at the top of the island so there is always a breeze. Both of these things help keep the mosquitoes at a minimum and the view is absolutely breathtaking. With my lots and the lots west of my lots the road is nearly complete. The management company that maintains the roads will complete and keep the road clear once people start moving onto the properties but right now the roads are only cleared when someone requests it. Being that it is a jungle the brush grows quite quickly when no one is using the roads.

    The lots in Seabreeze are on the opposite side of the island and face the inter-island sea. These properties are about 10-50 feet above the water and are at the bottom of the island. Despite the pictures online I do not know of any of the Cocomo Village properties that have beach access and if there are they are most likely sold already. The properties on the Seabreeze side that I have been to are fairly flat but the people on these lots complained about the mosquitoes and the problem they had getting rid of excess water when it rained. Drainage was such a problem that they dug trenches through their property to help divert the water to the creeks. I did not get a chance to see what the view was like from their properties as they were still trying to clear the area to the water.

    Every lot that I have seen on both sides of the island have a wide variety of fruit trees both on and around the properties. Fruits and vegetables that grow wild are available for the taking but the locals prefer if you only take what you are going to eat and not strip a tree bare.

    Also, buying from me saves you money. I am selling my lots for $6,000 USD for the two uncleared lots, $7,000 for the one partially cleared lot and you get a cheaper yearly rate then what is currently available. Only $348 USD per year under my contract instead of the $420 that they are asking for now.

    I am happy to answer any questions that you may have or write an entry on something that interests you.

    Char

    ReplyDelete